101- Post 5 Integration

• Important concepts that stuck out for me during this course are cognitive presence and the process of learning and I think my posts demonstrated the aspects that I want to remember and continually implement in my practise as an instructor and facilitator of learning. I think when the instructor begins with a creative and meaningful ‘triggering event’ as the issue or problem to start the class at the beginning of the learning process, it is key in being able to engage the students in to the desire to learn about the issue. Being able to identify how the exploration stage is when students leave their solo view to a shared vision really stresses how learning is expanded into an understanding and this is where they can begin relational learning.
  • Questions that I have as a result of this course is really trying to identify ways how to integrate relational learning into all the learning objectives – I did identify ways that can begin to answer those questions. Such as, including ‘life’ examples and comparisons to topics and issues that can often direct students to surface learning so they become learning more at a deeper level.
  • Specific goals that I would like to achieve in light of what you I have learned about cognitive presence, approaches to learning, and feedback – is that I want to look at the learning objectives in the courses that I teach and compare them to the evaluation methods to see how each do align with deep learning. I thought this exercise was very useful is being able to deconstruct and reconstruct the outcomes with learning methods. The other goal I would like to explore is how I can better understand feedback outcomes at an individual level. I never thought about actually exploring the student’s feedback on what kinds of feedback works for them that will encourage and enhance growth with a deeper learning – and I think this is something I can do at the beginning of a course.