otl101 post 2

I have learned that students tend to be most comfortable in the exploration phase of the practical inquiry model. Previously I would have thought that learners wanted to find a resolution to a dilemma or challenging question quickly. In f2f learning environments, I find that students seek answers from the instructor rather than deliberating and coming up with their own solutions. The instructors presence is essential for moving from the exploratory phase to integration and resolution. This is something that I want to explore more. I want to test what type of interaction from me is appropriate to be just enough to get the students to engage in critical thinking, without offering resolutions. I suppose demonstrating appreciation for their thoughts and ideas and asking probing questions to get them thinking more deeply. I think that making connections between the different ideas offered by the students would also encourage students to enter the integration stage, if they weren’t able to do it on their own.